Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Where are you living these days?

Well, if I could count the number of times I heard that over Thanksgiving break with the family, i'd...well...i'd still be counting. Yes I graduated from college and NO I do not have a job, apartment, permanent address or any serious plans for the near future. Why should I, I ask you, you nosy distant family members, ubiquitous houseguests, and inquiring family friends.
At 23, I've been a few places, seen a few things and met a few people but I am by no means prepared to settle down into a cheap apartment and do the 9 to 5 slog. (As a disclaimer: I also have no problem with this life decision in relation to others-I have many friends who happily and successfully live like this and I will admit it does have advantages) I, on the other hand, was born with itchy feet and an inclination to the indecisive.
Until I was about 17, I was prepared to follow a heavily trodden path-college, instant job, apartment, and a life of sedentary bliss dotted with exquisite week long vacation/adventures (as long as the office can spare me!) As high school ended and extraneous life situations changed, my outlook on reality also altered. I begrudgingly, and slowly, finished college (but I did it!) and now I am faced with that ever present question to us recent college grads...Where are you living these days? It's not, what are you doing? or where are you working? it's where are you living? As if that burning question encompasses it all and sums up exactly what it is that we're doing.
So here's my answer: Nowhere. A boat. I spend a lot of times on airplanes and in airports...? As the Thanksgiving holiday progressed, my confidence in my answer grew stronger. Yes. I am a vagabond and utterly proud of it. I spent August "faffing" about Nantucket working, September driving to Detroit, October flitting back and forth between Maryland, Boston, and Nantucket and then November sailing 800 miles south to Miami. Adventures everywhere.
So as these little adventures come to a close, well, almost, still a bit of faffing about in Miami on a sailboat to be done, I'm realizing the life of a vagabond is one for me. While reality may set in and force me to acquire an income, I'll figure it out. Vagabondage here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment